Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Diploma in Multimedia Production...Just a piece of paper?

Yuo suopurt publick edukasyen? Read on...


Some of you, i suppose most of my friends who read my blog knows that im a graphic artist by profession. Arts has always been my passion, my obsession, hobby and headache. I started of designing after looking at my 13 year old cousin messing massively with photoshop, i was 15, and that was the age i ever touched a computer for the very first time. I dont know why, but i got obsessed with solitaire Photoshop at that age, curiosity explains it, and the version was 5.5, and yes i messed with it in depth, constantly looking for online tutorials (theres a million online) and try to come up with something everyday, soon i got the hang of it and i looked at it from a considerably serious perspective. Graphic design was my new found obsession, the age was 17. I somewhat mastered Photoshop (scale 7.5/10) at the age of 17.


And soon came the typical shit, koko krunch college, and i wanted to get a dipshit diploma at least in the field that i love. After quite a bit of survey, i managed to shortlist one college, let the name remain anonymous. *groans* My course wasnt just a graphic design course, it was Multimedia Production, whatever fuck that means. Its mainly about sleepless nights and endless amount of nicotine candy, you crack your brain so much, you wish you could've take up something else like hotel management of some shit to do with bomba. But it was all good, i survived and graduated in September 2003. My diploma costed me RM 20 k, twenty fuckin grands, for how long you ask? 20 months, so its literally 1k a month. End of the day, i think i could do with my life without the 20k diploma. I'll tell you why:-

  1. 2 tools that i need the most, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop ( i learnt nothing in college, Photoshop, they taught me all the stuff i figured out years ago, Illustrator? they didnt know it even existed) - both this tools, i mastered, how? self taught.
  2. 5 interviews i have been in my life so far, ive got all of the job,*fulamak, proud!* i declined one, and believe it or not, none of these people even bothered to ask me which institution i am from, or even whether i have a diploma or a degree, nothing. All they asked was 'Can i see your underwear work?' Because end of the day, that what matters. I've seen alot of LUCT graduates, their work looks like shit. No offends. Typical design graduates, they have no passion, thats the problem.
  3. The diploma didnt supply whatever criteria the market seeks.
  4. And fuck, there were'nt any chicks in the college.
Sometimes i really feel i wasted so much of time and money on the diploma i did, im applying what i learnt by myself in my daily job tasks. I guess its too late to regret it, but im quite sure i can do the same shit what im doing now without my 20k diploma. The feeling when i collected the cert from my colleges office is priceless. I was like 'So this is the shit that costs me 20k?' A piece of yellow A3 sized paper with a massively bitched up signature of some Australian kanggaroo jackass which did nothing good over the 3 years period of time. I never showed the cert to any of the interviewers simply because they didnt ask, why? Because they dont give a flying fuck where youre from and what your qualification is, its just the matter of your designwork, your creativity speaks, your portfolio will do the job, the rest are useless.

I think the diploma in my field is useless, unless you beg to differ. Just my 2 cents :)


Kangaroo


Out!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwh and the roo has a joey too!! awwwwh!

Eh btw, I don't think any of my future employers would wanna see how well I neutralize a VERY acidic solution, so MY piece of paper that's now costing me LOTS of money WILL be looked at :(

Btw, that ISN'T an advantage...because, along with "looking" at your parchment, comes "lemme see your transcript please" and there's when I might die, right there!

Czcz said...

true. its all dependent on the area of expertise though. in the sciences, its a big deal.
dalsh- the dreaded academic transcript! GAH!

D, your kangaroo has snot comin outta its nose.

black aura said...

you know what?? i'm sick of studying...why can't i be a kangaroo? or a tiger..or a polar bear away from humans...

Czcz said...

kangaroos contribute significantly to australian roadkill statistics.

but hm, then again so do humans.

har har.

Bavani Ratnam said...

lol...word up December...tho I have to agree that it depends on the field of profession, but sometimes, for some people out there, the paper is all that matters. Personally, I tink experience is defnitely something that has more value to it than a piece of paper and a bunch of A's.
Btw, thanks for dropping by my blog, mind if I linked u? I love ur ad blog! *thumbs up*

Kamelia said...

I think everyone said pretty much what I was going to say :p maybe you didn't need to go to college to learn how to design. It's pretty much What you design. But as you said earlier...that's all up to the client/advertiser and not the graphic desginer. Hence the headache.